The archives of Pipestone County History is operated in the public interest by the Pipestone County Historical Society, a private not-for-profit organization.
General collection of historical, architectural and social resources.
Specific material related to Pipestone County organizations and industries, families, and businesses, persons and events.
Primary source material includes ledgers, diaries and other holographic items, assorted records, scrapbooks and other memorabilia.
Iconography includes broadsides and art work, architectural and engineering drawings, maps and photographs.
Archives holdings are considered one of a kind. They are non-circulating. Special care taken in their handling may include the wearing of cotton gloves while using some items.
What we have in our archives:
- Cemetery Records
- Obituary Records: We have an index of county obituaries listed by Surname.
- Births: We have a partial list of births recorded in Pipestone County
- Marriages: We have partial index of marriages in Pipestone County. We also have index of county marriages beyond this partial list.
- Plat Books for Pipestone County: Many different years, 1898, 1914, 1936, 1950, 1954, 1961, 1962, 1972, 1979, 1982, 1989, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006.
- Assorted Commemorative books from Churches and Cities.
- Assorted High School and Technical College annuals.
- Newspapers: Some dating from 1879-present on microfilm. Includes Pipestone County Star from 1879, Pipestone Leader, Edgerton Enterprise (missing some years), Jasper Journal, Buffalo Ridge Gazette (some issues).
- Photographs: many different County locations and subjects. Samples of photo collection.
- Family Histories: many local genealogists have given us copies of their work.
- Family Bibles
- Pipestone Indian Training School Records & Photographs Annual & Quarterly reports, 1912-1924 & 1929-1939)
- Chesley Glass Plates Negative Collection: Portraits of Pipestone people, 1885-1920, 3019 negatives, most identified.
- Close Brothers Land Sale Records 1884-1900
- Pipestone County Census Records on microfilm. Federal-1880,1900,1910,1920, 1930; State-1885,1895,1905
- Telephone directories and books.
- Name List: A list of people we have information on. Our archives are not limited to just these names.