CONTACT US        SITE MAP        SEARCH
Search
 

US Grant Post #80

US Grant Post #80
Member List
U. S. GRANT POST #80
EDGERTON, MN

The U. S. Grant Post was the first G.A.R. post organized in Pipestone County. There are no existing records of the organization, but "one liners" in the early newspapers indicate that it was active as early as June, 1883. The roster eventually carried more than sixty names. George D. Dodd was the first Commander and Henry Hoye was the first Adjutant. The Edgerton Enterprise of June 28, 1884, carried a long article on the campfire rally held in Edgerton on June 25. According to the Enterprise:

"..the heavy morning rain did not dampen the enthusiasm of the reported 1,500 visitors. A brass band from Pipestone participated, as did post members from Pipestone, Adrian, and Luverne. L. S. Nelson, attorney from Adrian, was the main speaker, and C. C. Goodnow responded. The rest of the afternoon was spent at the race track. "At early candle lighting the camp fires were set ablaze," and the activities such as storytelling and singing continued until 10 p.m. Feasting and dancing then began in the schoolhouse, and "continued and lagged not a whit until broad day-light."

In October 1885, the G.A.R. posts of Pipestone, Woodstock, and Edgerton were organized as the Pipestone County Battalion. The Women's Relief Corp in Edgerton wished to honor those who died in the Civil War. In April 1910, they erected a monument in honor of the war's "Unknown Dead." This monument stands in Edgerton's Hillside Cemetery. No more fitting tribute can be given these men, known and unknown, than that which is inscribed in part on this monument: "Let us ever keep in mind their patriotic devotion, for greater love hath no man than this, that lay down his life for another, or his country."


 

Web Design by