CONTACT US        SITE MAP        SEARCH
Search
 

Simon Mix Post #95

Simon Mix Post #95
Member List
SIMON MIX POST #95
PIPESTONE, MN

The Ed S. McCook Post of the Grand Army of the Republic was organized in Pipestone early in 1884. There was considerable enthusiasm at the first meeting. The 45 charter members elected the following officers: Commander, John Pearson; Senior Vice-Commander, Riley French; Junior Vice-Commander, M. J. Easland; Surgeon, W. J. Taylor; Chaplain, W. D. Peck; Officer of the Guard, George D. Green; Adjutant, C. W. Fenalson; Quartermaster, W. B. Brown, Quartermaster's Sergeant, B. S. Clark. It was soon discovered that the name "Ed S. McCook" had been selected by another post. The local post was then renamed "Simon Mix Post" honoring Colonel Simon Mix, a member of the 3rd New York Cavalry, who was killed in action with his regiment at the battle of Petersburg. The new post was mustered on May 1, 1884, by Sheriff R. R. Miller, Department Mustering Officer from Worthington, MN.

The Simon Mix Post #95 was for many years ranked highest in membership and influence in southwestern Minnesota. Members of the G. A. R. chapter included Pipestone's earliest pioneers, city fathers, and other prominent members of the community. Two of them, Charles Bennett and Daniel Sweet, were among the first settlers in Pipestone County. After an existence of fifty years, Simon Mix Post #95 ceased activity on May 1, 1934. Warrington B. Brown appeared before the Board of County Commissioners to inform them that the Post would no longer require a meeting place in the courthouse.

The Post had been kept alive through the sole efforts of Commander Brown. Although there were two members still living, James Hendron of Woodstock, who had transferred his membership to Pipestone's Post after Woodstock's had disbanded, had not been able to attend meetings for a long time. Warrington had declared several years earlier his determination to keep the organization active until it had rounded a full half-century. He continued to hold regular "meetings" with only himself in attendance. He called the sessions to order, conducted whatever business was at hand, and adjourned. James Hendron died May 18, 1934, less than three weeks after the Post ceased activity. Warrington Brown died in 1937. Flags, pictures, and chairs belonging to the post were presented to the Women's Relief Corps, and some relics were given to the Pipestone County Old Settlers' Society. The framed charter of the post was retained and is now housed in the Pipestone County Museum along with other G.A.R. artifacts.


 

Web Design by